United Research Labs Ferrous Sulfate Red Tablets contain 65 mg of elemental iron. United Research Labs Ferrous Sulfate Red Tablets can be used for iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia when such therapy has been recommended by a physician. Iron is essential for healthy red blood cells. When oxygen moves from your lungs into the blood, iron helps your red blood cells to pick up the oxygen and to carry it to all parts of your body. After living with a low amount of iron in your blood, you may feel tired and irritable.
- Iron deficiency can cause fatigue that interferes with your daily routine.
- People with iron deficiency often have trouble concentrating or remembering things.
- Iron deficiency can lead to irregular heartbeats, chest pain, and even a heart attack.
- Mothers with iron deficiency often give birth to underweight or preterm babies.
Common causes of iron deficiency anemia Iron deficiency anemia can be caused by anything that puts unusual demands on the body’s iron stores. Sometimes it is caused by an exceptional blood loss, but at other times it can be the result of the body’s need for iron for other purposes. Some of the most common causes include:
- Menstruation - Women of childbearing age are at increased risk for iron-deficiency anemia because of blood loss during their monthly periods. About 1 in 5 women of childbearing age has iron-deficiency anemia.
- Pregnancy - Your iron requirements go up significantly when you're pregnant. Iron is essential for making hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen to other cells. During pregnancy, the amount of blood in your body increases until you have almost 50 percent more than usual. And you need more iron to make more hemoglobin for all that additional blood. You also need extra iron for your growing baby and placenta. Unfortunately, most women start pregnancy without sufficient stores of iron to meet their body's increased demands, particularly in the second and third trimesters.
- Dietary Insufficiency - Some people, particularly elderly people, simply do not eat enough. Naturally, this reduces their iron stores as well as their stores of other dietary necessities.
- Blood Loss - Intestinal tumors, ulcers, wounds, surgery, etc. can result in a loss of blood that is greater than the body’s ability to replace it by drawing on normal stores.
Adults and children 12 years and over: one tablet daily, or as directed by a doctor
- Children under 12 years: consult a doctor
Do not exceed recommended dose.